500g Carnaroli Rice
1 small onion (70g), finely chopped
70g Parmesan cheese
50g Beef marrow
100ml white wine
Saffron, 4-5 pinches 1200ml pale beef stock
- Infuse the saffron in 100 ml of stock. Set aside and keep warm.
- Saute the onion in 60g of the butter and the beef marrow over a low heat until the onion has taken on a golden colour, breaking up any lumps of marrow (3 - 5 minutes).
- Add the rice and stir for a minute or two to fully coated the grains with the fat and for them to begin to turn opaque.
- Deglaze with the wine and scrape any residue from th bottom of the pan.
- Add the broth a ladle at a time until it is absorbed, carry on with the remaining stock until the rice is nearly done (about 10 minutes), use the infused stock to finish the cooking for a further 15 minutes. To test for 'doneness' squash a grain of rice between thumb and forefinger, there should be no white spots
- Add the remaining butter and Parmesan and 'whip' the risotto.