To roast the tomatoes
500g fresh cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
½ tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
A grind of salt and black pepper
For the risotto
750ml chicken or vegetable broth
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 cup Arborio rice
1½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary (or ¾ teaspoon dried)
60ml dry white wine
75g cubed mozzarella
¾ tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Put the tomatoes and garlic in a roasting tin, sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Give them a bit of a toss, then roast for about 40 minutes – a little bit of colour is good.
- When done blend the tomatoes with the chicken stock until smooth. Pour in to a pan an keep hot on a low light.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the rice, stir and cook for one minute to make sure the rice is coated with oil.
- Add the white wine and simmer stirring constantly until the wine is mostly evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the hot tomato broth ¼ at a time, keep stiring and add each ¼ when the last has been absorbed, 20-25 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the mozzarella until melted and incorporated. Adjust the seasoning and the consistency, which should be creamy. Add a drop more liquid if the rice is too dry.
- Serve immediately in wide bowls, sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped basil.